Thursday 7 November 2013

Networking as part of my family life.

Every Tuesdays is my son’s swimming lesson, I make time to make sure he is right on time for one of his favourite activities. During his sessions I get the opportunity to watch him swim while I chat with other parents, very crucial and invaluable time. He has been swimming since infancy; I suppose I introduced him to swimming partly because I love swimming myself. Watching him swim takes me right back to my childhood, swimming at Luveve swimming pool and competing for my primary school Inzwananzi and of course leisure swimming at St James Secondary School. While I watch him swim, silently I cheer “you go my precious stone”, sometimes having to hold myself back from jumping in the pool to say to him “this is how you do it son”. These are the joys of being a mum. It is at such events that I usually strike some conversations with people to connect and network. We start talking about our children and how far they have come with their confidence in the water; a good friend tells her tale of how much she enjoys what’s called open or wild swimming. Oh yes that’s how I learnt swimming initially total bliss and freedom, in the great lakes, dams and streams behind our homestead in Tsholotsho near Solusi University where I did a Bachelors in Education after completing a teachers training at ChinhoyiUniversity. My wild swimmer friend goes on to talk about looking forward to a great swim this coming weekend, I begin to shiver at the thought of swimming wild in the woods in November, Me and cold aren’t best friends !!!! I  love swimming dearly, but in this time of the year definitely not in the open waters, just could not be convinced, we laugh hysterically. One of the regular parents points out that I have lost weight, well yes, I love hearing that, I smile with pride and begin to show them my before and after photos. I also pull out my Skinny Fiber bottle from my handbag, she asks for my website, and we exchange contacts. The conversation goes on about how i have lost the weight in such a short space of time. What a great time spent, networking while supporting and nurturing my son, it reminds me that this is part of my daily task in my Facebook weight loss support group. My little boy has been in stage 5 class for about 6 months, he has persevered and endured and i have done some motivation as he was beginning to wonder why he was not moving up the rank. Today’s lesson is done and many thanks to God almighty, my son has been moved up to the next stage 6, next Tuesday I will be networking again with other fabulous people.Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment